This Pressure cooker/canner is a high caliber gadget that lets you to use it both as a huge pressure cooker and as a pressure canner for a variety of ingredients - particularly low-acid foods, where pressure canning is the sole safe technique to use according to the USDA. This ware has been selling in large numbers and is among the best selling kitchen cookware gadgets of its type. But is it really worth it?
What You Must Look For In A Pressure Cooker And Pressure Canner
* Aluminum Vs. Steel: The former heats well and price is less, but steel will survive longer.
* Size: every pressure cooker requires extra space to build up steam, which you must consider into your decision.
* Pressure regulator: several cookers have other ways of showing the current pressure and holding the pressure inside a particular range.
* Safety: Pressure can be unsafe, so it's sensible to choose a cooker/canner with integral protection.
* Warranty: It's suggested to seek a 10 year+ warranty.
* Cooking Rack: deciding on cookers having a cooking rack will permit you to cook above the water.
* Handles: bigger pressure cookers will require handles on both sides for easy movement.
Features Of The Presto 1781 23-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner
* 23 quart size pressure cooker/ canner
* Holds 20 pint jars/ 7 quart jars
* Made from extra-strong warp-resistant aluminum
* Stay-cool handles
* Can be used on both regular and smooth-top ranges
* Strong lock steel lid
* Pressure gauge automatically allows you to keep a constant pressure
* Comes with cooking/ canning rack to allow liquid to circulate underneath jars
* Air vent and cover lock means pressure will only build up once the cover is properly closed
* Instructions and recipe book
* 12 year warranty
Several customers have critiqued this product and the feeling is quite positive. In general, customers are stating how thoroughly this works as a pressure cooker and canner. The fact that it delivers dual usage as both a safe canner designed for low-acid foods and a huge pressure cooker entails it is well worth the money you'll spend, especially regarding it's backed by a really impressive 12 year warranty.
Many people are untrusting of pressure canning because of the safety issues, though this pressure cooker/ canner has several safety features to avoid any unsafe situations. An overpressure plug is developed to release pressure if it becomes too high, and this pressure cooker restricts the pressure to 15psi (an all-important safety feature to have in any pressure cooker). The cover is locked on throughout its use, can't be opened until the pressure has gone down.
Being a 23-quart pressure cooker, it entails that it is large and that it can also be used also for canning and can do so at 20 pints at a time. This makes it really big and quite heavy.
There are some mixed reviews when it bears on the capacity of the canner. Some customers have remarked that they were only able to utilize it for 18 pints, instead of the advertised 20. Others, nonetheless, have stated they can fit 20 pints just great.
If you are primarily going to use it as a pressure cooker alone, remember that cookers in smaller sizes cost less than this model. Even so, the Presto 1781 23-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner is extremely respected and recommended when it concerns canning both high and low-acid foods.
Copyright © 2011 Athena Goodlight